Thursday, April 18, 2013

6 Hours! Is This Our Child?


Of course, being a new mom, I have not been getting much sleep at all.  This has gotten worse since James has gone back to work because whenever possible, I try to take care of everything through the night so he is able to focus at work.  Just like most moms in the first month of their child's life, I am always happy if I get 5 or 6 hours of sleep a night, even though it is broken up into 2 hour increments with 1-2 hours of feeding, changing and wake time in between.

Before we went to bed last night I gave Hudson a pep talk about letting mama get some sleep.  It worked!  I couldn't remember what 6 (almost consecutive) hours of sleep felt like but it feels wonderful.  He only woke up fussy twice in those 6 hours and then fell back asleep within 10 minutes, so I don't count those little mishaps.  It was a win!  Hopefully this is the start of something beautiful.






Today Hudson is 3 weeks and 4 days old.  These past few weeks have been wonderful, overwhelming, blissful, exciting, joyful, sleepless, humbling and painful at times.  They have been the most terrific and meaningful weeks of my life.  I am still amazed at what James and I have created, with God's assistance of course.  :-)  It is astounding to look at Hudson's face and see pieces of both James and me.  God is truly amazing!

Things have gone somewhat smoothly in the Becker household so far.  Hudson for the most part only fusses or cries when he actually needs something.  He is also breastfeeding like a champ.  We have been very lucky.  Even so though, I will be completely honest in saying that there are still some times of frustration when we just can't figure out what is wrong and it is absolutely heartbreaking to listen to Hudson's screams and watch his tiny quivering lips in helplessness.

As each day passes I get more and more anxious about James leaving for training.  I know all of the wonderful people in my life with help me get through these six weeks while he is gone but quite frankly, I am terrified of not having James around.  I'm sure I will be so busy with work and taking care of Hudson that the six weeks will go by really fast but it's the anticipation that is a killer.  I know it will be even more difficult for James because he will be away from his little man for that time.  Thank God for Skype!

In the meantime, we will just continue to enjoy our family of three!





I love his big navy blue eyes but  they are starting to lighten up. 
Play date with Lil.
Yes, our son appears to be throwing gang signs.









Reds opening day with Papa!

No comments:

Post a Comment